The Conveners established the New York State Parenting Education Partnership (NYSPEP) in order to create a culture of positive parenting in New York state as a strategy to prevent child abuse and neglect. They agree that parenting education and strength-based support for families are key factors influencing children’s health, cognitive development, and ability to succeed in school and in life.
The Conveners' leadership grounds NYSPEP in state systems building work and makes connections between parenting education and other activities. Each organization among the Conveners is represented by a single individual who is authorized to act on behalf of his/her organization with respect to the governance of NYSPEP.
NYSPEP Steering Committee:
(Executive Committee and Workgroup Chairs noted in parenthesis)
The NYSPEP Steering Committee makes and approves major operational decisions, and develops and implements strategic and action plans directly or by approval of workgroup plans. It is a resource for and represents all parenting education providers and their consumers.
The Steering Committee includes public and private agencies, both program administrators and practitioners, and to the extent possible represents the diverse demographics and geography of New York State. The Steering Committee is responsible for communicating on a regular basis with the Conveners to inform them about NYSPEP projects, activities, progress and challenges.
- Meg Akabas - NYSPEP CPE, Parenting Solutions - New York. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Roseanna Counterman - NYS Office of Children & Family Services - Rensselaer. E-mail: Roseanna.Counterman@ocfs.ny.gov
- Kara Georgi - E-mail: email@example.com
- Jason Gish - NYS Education Department - Albany. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Abbe Lynn Hahn Hook - Early Care & Learning Council - Albany. E-mail: AHahn@earlycareandlearning.org (ExComm, CoCh - Communications)
- Tim Hathaway - Prevent Child Abuse New York - Troy. E-mail: email@example.com (CoCh - ExComm, CoCh - Steering, Ch - Community Connection, Staff)
- Karen Kissinger - NYS Office of Children & Family Services. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (ExComm)
- Tamae Memole - Prevent Child Abuse New York - Troy. E-mail: email@example.com
- Ciearra Norwood - NYS Council on Children and Families - Albany. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (
- Susan Perkins - NYS Council on Children and Families (ret.) - Rensselaer. E-mail: email@example.com (CoCh - ExComm, CoCh - Steering)
- Kathryn "Kate" Provencher - Division of Children and Families - NYS Office of Mental Health - Albany. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (ExComm)
- Judith A. Richards - NYS Office of Children & Family Services (ret.) - Rensselaer. E-mail: email@example.com
- Laurie Rivera - Families Together in New York State - Albany. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Julika von Stackelberg - Cornell Cooperative Extension of Orange County - Middletown. E-mail: email@example.com (
- Kristin Weller - NYS Council on Children and Families - Albany. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (ExComm)
- Judy Wolf - Family Development Program - Cornell Cooperative Extension Tioga (ret.) - Owego. E-mail: email@example.com (ExComm, Chair - Credential)