NYSPEP'S mission is to promote and improve parenting education, in order to enhance parenting skills, knowledge and behavior.
NYSPEP is excited is to announce notifications have gone out to the 2017-2018 Mini-Grant Recipients! Special thanks to the NYSPEP Mini-Grant Review Committee and all those across New York State who applied. This year our review committee has decided to fund five proposals:
Ulster County Department of Social Services: Children's Services for "Celebrating Families" Program.
Research Foundation for SUNY: Binghamton University for Parent Cafes.
Neighborhood Transformation Center: FLIP IT and Parenting with Heart Programs.
Association to Benefit Children for Positive Solutions: Families program.
S.T.R.O.N.G. Youth, Inc.: Strengthening Multi-Ethnic Families and Communities Program.
We are excited to see the impact these programs will make!
NYSPEP was pleased to receive the final reports from our 2016-2017 Mini-grant awardees. The awardees described positive results from the programming that NYSPEP funding supported including: The grants offered an opportunity to reach out to new and diverse populations. Parents had a positive response to the parenting education classes. The grants provided opportunities to form unique collaborations with other agencies in their communities. In addition, they report there now is opportunity to build on the work that has been started through the mini-grants.
The five awardees provided parent education to 97 parents. Parents involved in the Parenting Classes reported they had:
· New parenting skills,
· An increased sense of confidence in their parenting skills and ability to handle situations with their children,
· An increased sense of connection with other parents and that it was helpful and validating to be with parents experiencing the same challenges;
· An increase in positive interaction with their children.
“I have gained a better knowledge of how to be a better parent to all of my children and how to handle every common scenario.”
“Now having completed the class, I have learned so much about myself and my children. These classes have given me the proper tools and skills to be a better parent.”
NYSPEP thanks each of the awardees listed below who have been our partners in working to support parents and provide quality parenting education.
· The Research Foundation for SUNY on behalf of Prevention Support Partners of Oswego County - Circle of Security Parenting
· EAC Network Long Island Parenting Institute - Common Sense Parenting
· Capital District Child Care Council - Parent Cafe: Build Your Bounce and Your Journey Together
· Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology, Yeshiva University - Regulation Focused Psychotherapy for Children (RFP-C): Parent Group Intervention
· Rochester Childfirst Network - Teaching Pyramid: Positive Solutions for Families